RIP Morning Glory Reader (Creator of Herbs and Arts occult shop)
This last Sunday (or was it, Saturday), Morning Glory Reader died in hospice early in the morning. Morning Glory was an important influence in my life because she created Herbs and Arts occult shop at Colfax and Race in 1993. Those familiar with my stories about my Denver occult education will recall that I lived my second life in her shop from September 1996 when I entered the open ritual community until 1999 when she sold the store to another owner, and the vibe changed.
Khari ceased to do business with Herbs and Arts when the new owner wanted pottery at a price point cheaper than her loss point. Sad, really, Morning Glory's Herbs and Arts had been the first to accept my wife's pottery to sell in their store.
![]() |
| I wish I had photos from the old days. |
Being braver than Khari, or having been a Public Witch at Work, I had taken full advantage of the classes that teachers had announced at the Open Full Moons. I took several Wicca 101s, and Tarot 101s. From one couple, we went from a Wicca 101 to a Norse system, the course changing over time; each stage making its way into a three-ring binder of mine.
Okay, I had no social life.
And Sagebrush High School library witch training.
I had a kitchen job, with the bare amount of authority I wanted, the overtime to pay for my occult addiction, and a cheap rent because I had accepted a horrible apartment as renewable.
Basically, I had my father's sleeping disorder that allowed me to sleep though anything. Including life threatening situations. Like the time that I slept through the fire department clearing out the building.
It was a false alarm.
Still worried the hell out of my neighbor.
Who also ended up shopping at Morning Glory's little herb shop.
It was Herbs that was Morning Glory's strong suit. I never saw her look anything up. Just weigh out the herbs, like some drug dealer. And Morning Glory was the reason that I couldn't afford drugs.
We can laugh about it now, but it seemed that every teacher that taught at Herbs and Arts, during her time there, included an herb class in their course. Some incense, or oil, that we needed supplies for.
I know that as a teacher of witchcraft, it is the source of my "I have to sell you a mortar and pestle by the end of the course" rule. We are going to miss you, Morning Glory--but I will be seeing you in the Blessed Trading Place; we are both merchants.

Comments
Post a Comment